The oldest known Rijeka’s municipal palace stands even today in the northern part of Kobler Square. Rijeka's naturalised citizen, architect Antonio Verneda redesigned the palace in the Baroque style in the mid 18th century. The remains of the medieval edifice are clearly visible within its prevailing Baroque forms.
Like many other important buildings of medieval Rijeka, the palace is situated at the intersection of two former main streets (Dekuman and Kardo), following the earlier Antique urban street layout. Council meetings were held in that building up until 1838 when the town administration moved to the facilities of the Augustinian monastery situated in the western part of Rijeka's Old Town.